Thursday, August 09, 2007

Thankful Thursday


I found this link the other day and just love the idea. I don't know whether it is supposed to be like a Thursday Thirteen, but tonight I'm pressed for time and I just have one big "thankful" on my mind right now.

I am SO thankful to live in a place and time where women are allowed to be educated. In other parts of the world, RIGHT NOW, that blessing is routinely denied to females. And in other eras, education for women was universally believed to be a waste of time.

I was the kind of kid who got in trouble at least once in every year of elementary school for bouncing up and down in my seat, frantically waving my hand to be called on and then blurting out the answer. I loved the process of learning.

And now, over forty years later, I'm so blessed to have the privilege of taking Hebrew classes. My teacher is a woman. Over half the students in the class are female. I don't yell out the answers anymore, but school is just as much fun as it ever was.

The authors of our textbook think it's fun, too. One of my homework assignments was to read aloud several sentences of Hebrew. I wish my computer had a font for the Hebrew letters so you could see what it looked like. And I wish you could have heard me stumble through this--sounding just exactly like a first grader who has to sound out every word. My lesson said,

"See Betty eat. Eat, Betty, eat. See Betty eat quiche. Eat quiche, Betty, eat quiche. See Bab eat Betty's quiche. See Betty beat Bab."

My husband and daughter were in hysterics as I read to them. And so was I. What fun!



5 comments:

Denise said...

Welcome to thankful thursday, glad you have joined us. I enjoyed your post, bless you.

KatieBug said...

You have to warn me before you post something SO FUNNY!!! I shot chewed cheerios out my nose when betty beat babs for eating the quiche. Eat betty eat!

mamashine said...

I LOVE THIS. It's even better listening to you stumble through it one syllable at a time. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Aniversary!!!
See you in a few weeks.

Love,
Cathy

Hopeful Spirit said...

What a riot. Welcome to the TT crew and have a great vacation!