Wednesday, February 22, 2006

And now there is "fashing"

I've been too busy to post for awhile. We were preparing for the "graduation" of a marriage class that we were teaching. Getting ready for that involves massive amounts of cleaning (and prayer), and phone calling (and prayer), and then setting out chairs for a totally unknown number of couples to come and hear about how to have God's best for their marriage. As we tell the couples, then is the "hardest fun you will ever have".

The day after we finished with that, my DH told me that he wants to start a remodeling job in our living room. And I said, "Yes, we talked about doing that at some point and yes, what a good idea that is and yes, when we get this, that, and the other thing done first, then we will jump right into that project." And HE said, "Uh, no. I want to start now." And I said, "Now? Like, right this minute, now?" And he said, "Mmmm...yes." And he went and got his crowbar and here we are--in the midst of "fashing" which is our granddaughter's unique rendition of the word "smash". In the space of just a few hours, he very efficiently ripped all the trim off most of the room, tore the paneling off one wall and then smoothed the sheetrock underneath with joint compound. When he's all done, we will look smooth and clean and modern instead of 1978 chic.

This is a very new thing around here--his wanting to do something like this in our house. But 2 years ago, he started a home remodeling business and now he has all these new skills and he's fast and he enjoys the process. And he has all this joint compound and...stuff...from a whole bunch of jobs he's done. So to do our LR is just his labor (and he's promised me a discount!) Already one wall is all stripped and half prepped and could be ready to paint with one more layer of joint compound. One down, three to go. In the meantime, I have to decide on what color we are going to use (he's all excited about something called "spiced vinegar") and then figure out how to decorate my posh new room. I've never had a posh new room before and I have no clue where to start. (I'm told that someone I love who reads this blog is a Martha Stewart fan! Suggestions are welcome.)

6 comments:

KatieBug said...

If your looking to get rid of that sectional, we could find a place for it in our house! Just let us know when you want us to take it off of your hands. But we will have to borrow your trunk :)

k said...

Dream on, little broomstick cowgirl! That sectional is the only decent piece of furniture we have ever bought and you will only get it when we move in with you because we are older than dirt and cannot remember how to feed ourselves! :-)

Kate said...

I am indeed a fan of MS and would love to offer suggestions. Or just revel in the fun of remodeling and redecorating. Glad to hear your handyman got rid of your 1978 paneling. Mine got rid of our 80's wallpaper and it's fabulous! :)

loni said...

I too, am a Martha Stewart fan and I hope that you also love me (I think you do, anyway). My suggestion is to go through a bunch of magazines and pull out pictures of anything you like, even if you aren't sure why you like it. From there you will be able to find THE theme to a new, hip room that you will really feel at home in. :)

k said...

Ah, YES! Sources of help from 2 people I love! Truly, I am clueless. The looking at magazines is a very good idea. (Anybody got any I can borrow?) :-)

loni said...

Well, of course I do! I need to go through mine and this is the perfect motivation. Maybe I can stop by after I drop off Alexis tomorrow morning?