Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Life loops

Have you ever had one of those unexpected moments when you meet up with someone or go somewhere and realize that there is a major connection to your past? My dance team went to a multi-cultural extravaganza in Garland last weekend to contribute some really cool Israeli/Messianic dances. The streets were closed around where the festival was being held, so we parked a few blocks away and walked to the dance site. We came around the corner and walked straight into the building. There were pictures on the walls of the way the town square had looked back in the olden days and I realized HOLY COW! The civic center used to be the Plaza Theater! My mama walked me to this very theater when I was about 5 years old to see Walt Disney's Cinderella. Just the two of us. And she bought me a great big huge lollipop. It's the first movie I ever remember seeing. We walked forever to get there. (I googled it when I got home and found out that we lived 1.25 miles from the theater in those days, which is a pretty good hike for a little kid.) And on the corner of the square is where the Nicholson Memorial Library used to be. I so wanted to be able to do the time travel thing and BE there 50 years ago. And I so wanted to be able to call my mom on the phone and say, "Guess what just happened to me!" I can't do either one, but the delight of the moment stayed with me for the rest of the day.

4 comments:

loni said...

I bet your mom was right there with you, smiling and thinking just as fondly of those times as you did. :)

k said...

Yes :-) That's a very comforting thought. Thank you!

Alli said...

You have no idea how much I love hearing your stories of Gram. I "see" her through my dad's eyes, but to see her through yours, too, paints a whole different layer for me. I often wonder what kind of mom she was and so often I wish I could chat her up about what it was like raising you all.

Love you.

k said...

I have some very sweet memories of her. We'll have to sit and talk about her sometime :-)