Thursday, June 14, 2007

school and babies

GeeGee commented, about my last post, about how nice the days off and the holidays and the summer and the not-being-in-charge will be. And I'm not the least bit ashamed to tell the whole world that those were the exact reasons that I chased down a job at a school. I've spent 22 years working 10 hour days with no paid vacations and no benefits. The school schedule just totally fits what I want life to be. As I was praying about it, I came to the realization that I would be willing (except for lunchroom, because of the gluten) to do whatever was available. The first thing that came along was the position of special ed bridging aide in middle school. So that's what I am now.

The reactions to this announcement have been at the opposite end of the spectrum. Several people have looked at me with a look on their face that screams, "Are you CRAZY?" And one wonderful response was, "OH! You will LOVE it!" And that probably covers how I'm feeling about it. So excited...and a little nervous. But I think I would be a little nervous about any new job. I'm leaving a comfort zone of 22 years. So a few deep breaths are in order. The nice thing is, I feel like what I will be doing is work that really matters.

Interestingly, I have a sense that my plan to rock babies at the hospital is one of the most important things that will come out of this life change. I have an unshakable belief in the power of words. What you speak over a child helps to direct their destiny. To go and hold a child who may have been born to a crack-addict mother and pray love, blessing and protection over his or her life can, I believe, change the course of that life. I want to promise them that Jesus loves them and has plans to prosper them and not to harm them, plans to give them a hope and a future. I want to tell them that He sent me to tell them that and that He will continue to send people into their lives to help them. They will not remember me. But I know that the Lord's blessing in their lives is not dependent on that.

So, hurry summer and be over quickly. I've got things to do.

4 comments:

loni said...

I have always known that you are a wonderful person. And you are going to be such a huge blessing, not just those children, but to everyone in the school who meets you. Just as you will be to to those babies AND the hospital staff. Just as you are to the privelaged few of us on this earth who know you now.

Alli said...

When ksl told me over the phone yesterday what you were going to be doing, I thought to myself that I couldn't imagine a better person to have that job. I'm so excited for you!

And you're whole paragraph about rocking babies made me want to cry. When my wee ones get older, I might look into doing such a thing.

I'm so glad you're blogging again!:)

KatieBug said...

I didn't know THAT was why you wanted to rock babies! I want to do that!!! I'm with Alli when the wee ones are older.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a wonderful goal that you have and I also thank God that you are in my grandchildren and son's lives. Thank you and Cute Boy for the wonderful job you did with your children. You deserve to enjoy your semi retirement.
GEE GEE