Friday, May 25, 2007

...and then there was dancing...

On the grand highway of life, DH and I found an unexpected detour about 10 years ago when we went with some friends to a worship service at a Messianic congregation. (I fell in love instantly. It took DH a lot longer to get on board, but he did finally come around.) Our getting involved in this lifestyle has been a real gear-stripping experience for our extended family. I have frequently made the mistake of sharing what I'm learning with a little too much gusto, which has caused some folks to stick their fingers in their ears and sing, "LA LA LA!" at the top of their voices.

One of the things I love. Love. LOVE. about Messianic worship is the dancing. Worshiping the Lord with movement just reaches into the deepest part of my soul. And it's fun. And for someone who works at long hours at home and doesn't get out much, it's also really good exercise. I've started putting on some of the praise music in the playroom and dancing with the kids. They love it and it uses up some of their very high levels of manic energy.

Kelli and I both are trying to be more healthy and one of the things she read about recently was making sure you take 10,000 steps in the course of your day. She got out a pedometer that she had and started wearing it. She wasn't logging enough steps so.....she started coming in for the dancing. I've known for awhile that she was actually paying attention, but neither of us had said a word about her hidden interest. This week she started dancing with us. A few days ago, she asked about some of the steps. And tonight, oh the wonder of it all! She and Gilly and I went into the playroom and just danced and danced for the glorious fun of it.

After we'd danced for about half an hour, Kelli started laughing. "You're just about to explode, aren't you. You just want so bad to say, 'Ha, Ha, I got you!!' " (And I did want to say, "Holy cow! Isn't this great! Don't you just love it!")

But see how much I've learned. I make no loud noises or sudden movements, no big "HA HA" so no one is scared away. And we just keep dancing, 3 generations of dancers. And it is so good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I love Jewish music and dancing, I'm just limited at what I know! I used to teach my kids when I taught school a couple of dances... Way fun!

loni said...

"And we just keep dancing, 3 generations of dancers. And it is so good."

That is so very cool.