Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thursday Thirteen










THIRTEEN THINGS I LOVE ABOUT THIS SEASON OF LIFE

1. Being Married--actually I have loved being married for 35 years, but this season is just so sweet. We've successfully raised two lovely daughters (all glory to God who redeemed all our mistakes!!!) and now we can just relax, enjoy each other's company and share life. Browning was right! "Come, grow old with me; the best is yet to be".

2. Grandparenting--one of the reward's of growing older, the grandkids are DA BOMB!

3. Dancing--I've always like to dance, but in our Messianic congregation, we worship in dance. It is so awesome!

4. Hebrew school--I loved school when I was a kid, and now I am loving learning how to read and write in Hebrew. I'm excited about being able to read the Bible in the original language.

5. The Internet--before the Web, whenever you wanted to know something, you had to go to the library and check out a big ole pile of books to find what you were looking for. Now, the world is at your fingertips!

6. DVDs--we were the last people in America (according to our children) to get a VCR. And I would've been happy with that forever. Movies on demand! But with DVDs you get to watch your favorite parts over and over without rewinding AND you get all the background documentary type stuff.

7. Fresh fruit out of season--did you see Victorian House on PBS? The vegetarian participant had the choice of potatoes, cabbage and rutabegas. That's all that was in season in winter. Not even a hothouse tomato. Look around your produce department in December. We can have anything.

8. Hot showers--I love 'em. Best way to kick off a morning. We have land in the country and a half built house with no running water at all and spending the night out there is a real eye opening reminder of how easy life is with water on tap.

9. Air conditioning--how can you live in Texas and not spend the entire summer on your knees thanking God for the blessing of cool air. I remember, as a child in the 1950's, when we got our first window unit. It went in my parents' bedroom. We all lived in that one room!

10. Gift certificates--what a great present! Right now I have one from Outback and one from Central Market, just waiting to give me a good time whenever I'm in the mood. (And DH can take me to the movies again with the rest of his AMC gift card.)

11. Cell phones--not too many years ago, long distances phone calls were an expensive luxury. Now we have more minutes than we can use in a month, even talking weekly to friends and family all over the country.

12. Big plans--when I was younger, I thought 40 was old and that anything older than that was heading for the rocking chair. But we have all kinds of exciting possibilities on the drawing board and are looking forward to putting them into action.

13. He's coming back!--I believe with all my heart that we are the generation that will see that happen. It doesn't get better than that!

3 comments:

mamashine said...

Good list! congrats on your first 13!

loni said...

Look at you blogging! And, using the phrase, DA BOMB! HA! I love it! :)

k said...

Yeah, I've decided that there's is no point in doing this half-heartedly. Maybe if I post regularly, I'll get faster. ('Cause, Dang!, it takes me a long time to think it through and write it down!)