Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Into the Home Stretch

I've been doing daycare for over 20 years and because my favorite age is the babies, I "graduate" my young charges when they hit their first birthday. And because it really is a little to0 difficult to let go of a sweet little person you have known all their life, I have unconsciously developed a little mind game. A few weeks before they are set to go to an exciting new toddler program which is more in keeping with their big grown up selves, I begin to allow myself to be annoyed by certain behaviours which had previously not been a problem. This one cries so darn loud or that one doesn't nap worth a flip. As I focus on what a pain these things are, I begin to look forward to how much better it will be when they move on. So by the time they actually leave, I can kiss them goodbye with a big smile and be ready to embrace the replacement baby.

Well, my sweet daughter and her husband and 3 fabulous children are just about ready to move to their new big house. It's all finished, the walk through is this week, papers to be signed next week. And last week, I found myself just a little huffy about the noise, the mess, the stuff layin' around. It's been like that from day one, so I was a little annoyed with myself for suddenly having a problem with it. Then I realized that my "disconnect" mode had activated itself.
Had to go into my brain and turn it off. Even so, I feel a little guilty that any part of me will be happy to be back to our quiet existance. I will miss them so much.

No comments: